Since its launch four years ago, Instagram has grown from the 2011 “iPhone App of the Year” that gained one million members in its first two months, to one of the most-used apps on the planet. With over 150 million photos shared within its first year, Instagram now has over 150 million members that have uploaded over 16 billion photos that generate 1.2 billion likes every day. For the social media-minded business, it is no longer a question of if you should be using Instagram to connect with your customers, but how.
We at Blink;Tech would like to help you answer that by offering eight “best practices” for an Instagram marketing strategy.
1. Realize that you’re telling a story. A picture really does tell a thousand words, so give some good thought to the story you’re telling. Share photos that explain just what makes what you so incredible.
2. Take your followers on a journey. Your photos should not only tell your story individually, but also sequentially. Instagram allows you to illustrate before-and-after scenarios, as well as step-by-step sequences of how you do what you do.
3. Step into the limelight. Instagram is a great way to showcase products. From the launch of a new line to highlighting key features of your products, this a great opportunity to let people know what you have to offer.
4. Utilize the power of analytics. As an enormous generator of user data, Instagram offers great information on your demographics regarding what else they like and how you can connect with them. Use this information to find more common ground beyond the business/customer relationship and give them more of what they love.
5. Cultivate relationship marketing. Your followers depend on you to engage them with what you share. Although you do get to share your own products and services, you don’t want customers that just buy things — you want customers that buy things from you. Let them know that you’re human and that you’re glad they’re part of your experience.
6. Let your followers get involved. Offering contests and sweepstakes is a great way to engage and increase your followers. Ask them to generate content that features your product or service with a hashtag about your endeavor. This way you give Instagrammers the ability to creatively compete for your attention, while amplifying your reach to other users.
7. Don’t underestimate the power of cute. Essentially, people look to social media because they’re looking for reasons to smile. When your place of work gets furry visitors, be sure to share the cuteness with your followers. And don’t forget how cute your coworkers can be.
8. Engagement is essential. Whatever you release through social media, be it on Instagram or any other platform, it’s meant to help you engage with people. Actions such as “likes”, tags, comments, and shares may seem like small gestures, but they have the potential to create lifelong customers.