It seems like we never stop talking about marketing, and if you’re also feeling that way, there’s a very good reason. Marketing is an ever-evolving practice, ebbing and flowing based on trends, technology, and budgets. What works one year for a specific product or service may not work well the following year. What was all the rage five years ago, but since forgotten, suddenly is all the rage again, repackaged in a new buzzword. Following these cycles can feel maddening at times, but it also can provide clarity as to what really works and what is truly a soon-to-be-forgotten trend. One of those is Interactive Marketing – an event driven process that requires interaction between the business and their followers to make it a success. Let’s take a deep dive:
What is Interactive Marketing
As mentioned above, interactive marketing is in direct response to the expectations of a customer or follower, offering a conversational feel to the process. It seems more of a group activity than a directive from on high, responding to behaviors, demands or actions from the consumer. These meaningful interactions become the basis of the fulfillment process, and is an organic way to find loyalty among the customer base.
Being highly customizable, interactive marketing can also foster familiarity to broaden the loyalty base, throwing out all those cold, impersonal marketing strategies that are easy to fall back into. The customer feels attended to and the business makes another sale; everybody wins in the game.
Interactive Marketing Examples
Surprisingly, interactive marketing has been around a lot longer than many may realize. Most will think that it sprouted from technology, but as long as businesses have been going out of their way to interact with their customers, interactive marketing has existed Examples of interactive marketing include:
- Product Launches – these can be on-site or virtual, and even both!
- Virtual Events – especially in the time of a pandemic, virtual events have skyrocketed!
- Contests/Giveaways – this is one of the easiest ways to garner new followers!
- Email marketing – tried and true, but never out of style!
- Polls/Surveys – get direct feedback on the exact topics you need it on!
- Social media – targeted and segmented content FTW!
Advantages and Disadvantages of Interactive Marketing
As with any marketing scheme, there are advantages and disadvantages of interactive marketing. However, the advantages usually outweigh the disadvantages! One will typically find more:
- Social sharing – this allows for a broader organic reach!
- Positive experience – winning a contest? giving specific feedback? All great ways to foster a positive experience!
- Increased conversions – more sales are always a good thing!
- Personalization – making it personalized gives a better one-on-one experience!
When it comes to the disadvantages, it usually lies with the time it takes to set up the project and personalizing the exchanges. To ensure that everything is done correctly, take your time and keep your focus on the customer. The time spent can bring a new loyal customer – and that is always worth it!
Interactive Marketing Best Practices
Most marketing endeavors require proper planning and execution to be successful, so in order to put your best foot forward, there are some things to keep in mind.
- Do your research. See what your competition is doing and fully understand what you’re up against. Only then will you be able to set the right path.
- Use all applicable channels. Don’t rely on just email marketing, or just social media. Make sure all potential pathways are used to reach the broadest audience possible.
- Think outside the box. Just because it’s not been done before doesn’t mean it won’t work! New ideas can help you stand out from the crowd and reach new faces! When it comes to interactive marketing, really anything goes!
- Be willing to step outside of your comfort zone. Interacting with the public is not always easy. Meet challenges with grace and understanding, and above all, simply listen. An unhappy customer might have valuable insight into how you can improve your business and maximize your profits!
Interactive marketing is not a new idea, but technology has made it an extremely effective and valuable weapon in your marketing arsenal. With the right plan of attack, interactive marketing can be a game changer for your business. Contact Blink;Tech today and see how we can help you get started in interactive marketing!